Early College Enrollment Program (ECEP)
Through the Early College Enrollment Program (ECEP), qualified high school juniors and seniors earn college credits while completing high school. ECEP students must declare a technical/occupational program of study. ECEP is a program designed to increase the number of skilled workers in the Alabama labor force.* This program is only available to qualified students who are enrolled in the Baldwin County public school system.
Juniors who qualify are eligible to earn a two-year A.A.S. degree while seniors who qualify are eligible to earn a one year certificate.
The ECEP accommodates students who wish to enroll in courses leading to and/or providing a:
- Terminal two-year career/technical degree
- College credits for programs in the career/technical fields, or
- Credit hours applicable towards a college degree.
All of Faulkner State’s Associate in Applied Science and Certificate programs, with the exception of Nursing, Surgical Technology
, and Paramedic programs of study, are eligible for ECEP participation.
The following guidelines must be met in order to qualify for admission into ECEP.
- Completed tenth grade
- Passed all sections of the Alabama High School Graduation Exam
- Declared career/technical education major in college
- Indication of aptitude and interest in a career based on results of standardized interest/aptitude assessment
- Earned required high school units in courses specified for diploma option
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) in required high school courses specified for diploma option
- Score 20 or above on the English and math portions of the ACT assessment; score 480 or above on the SAT I verbal and 480 or above on the SAT I math; or score at or above the level on ASSET placement test required for placement into English 101 and Math 100.
Students who do not meet any of these requirements, but who meet the other criteria for program participation may qualify by passing applicable developmental courses.
- ECEP application and completion of ASSET placement test must be accomplished by the deadline established for your school (see guidance counselor for more information) prior to entering fall semester
- ECEP students will enter college as full-time students and must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
- Students entering ECEP as juniors may enroll in the program for four (4) semesters
- Students entering ECEP as seniors may enroll in the program for two (2) semesters
Steps for Students to Enroll
- Fill out and sign the ECEP Application Packet.
- Take completed forms to your high school counselor.
- Ask the counselor to send your official high school transcript, your attendance report and your graduation exam results.
Once your paperwork has been received and verified by the Director of High School Relations, you will be contacted to set up an interview.
Steps for High School Counselors
- Make sure that all forms are completed (Faulkner State Application for Admission, ECEP application, Transcript Agreement Form, Academic Release Form).
- Send all completed forms, an official high school transcript, graduation exam results and the student’s attendance in each class to:
Faulkner State Community College
Attn: Carmelita Mikkelsen
1900 Hwy 31 South
, AL 36507
All paperwork must be completed, signed, and submitted to the Admissions Office before the candidate can be considered for an interview.
- This program allows students to earn college credits while earning their high school diploma.
- This program allows students to earn their Associate in Applied Science Degree or Occupational/Technical Certificate while earning their high school diplomas.
- Provides some transferable credits for students wishing to transfer credit to baccalaureate degree programs.
- Prepares students to enter high-skill, high-wage employment earlier in their career.
- ECEP graduates shall have the opportunity to earn an industry credential or certification when available. Faulkner State will provide ECEP graduates documentation of technical, technological, academic and employability skills attained.
- Students are still eligible to participate in athletics, band, and other extracurricular activities at their high school if they meet the regular requirements set for other students at the school.
- ECEP students receive advising by high school and college staff to ensure they remain on target for high school graduation, as well as for their college degrees.
Free Tuition and Fees
All students accepted into Faulkner State’s ECEP will receive a scholarship covering tuition and fees. While the scholarship covers tuition and fees, students will be responsible for purchasing their books and supplies and for providing their own transportation.
Faulkner State programs applicable to ECEP are all Associate in Applied Science and Certificate programs listed below. All A.A.S. programs require a minimum of four semesters of study and all Certificate programs require a minimum of two semesters of study based on the students’ taking a minimum of 16-18 credit hours of study each semester. Some of these programs of study may require one or two summer semesters to complete.
- Commercial Art/Graphic Design
- Computer Technology
- Computer Aided Drafting Specialist
- Network Administration
- Operations Specialist
- System Specialist
- Dental Assisting – Requires an additional Summer semester of study at the end of the program
- Golf Course and Turf Management – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
- Hospitality Administration – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
- Hospitality Management/Marketing
- Culinary Arts
- Landscape Operations Management/Horticulture – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
- Landscape Operations Management
- Management & Supervision Technology
- Management & Supervision Technology
- Computer Management
- Fashion Merchandising
- Banking & Finance
- Office Administration – May require an additional Summer semester of study
- Legal Administrative Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Word Processing Specialist
- Administrative Assistant
Commercial Art/Graphic Design
Culinary Arts – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
Dental Assisting – Requires an additional Summer semester of study at the end of the program
Golf Course & Turf Management – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
Landscape Technology – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
Pastry Baking – Requires an additional Summer semester of study
Please refer to the Statewide Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (STARS) web link found on the Faulkner State Community College web site to get information regarding the Alabama state law that guarantees transferability of all academic credits for two-year college students.
In order to have college credits transferred to another college, students must do both of the following:
Send high school transcript, including graduation date, to Faulkner State
Fill out and submit a Faulkner transcript release form
Faulkner State Community College
Carmelita Mikkelsen, Director of High School Relations
Michael Nikolakis, Dean of Student Services
Baldwin County Public Schools
Joyce Woodburn, Interim Secondary Supervisor Coordinator
Peggy Duck, Secondary Supervisor
Pam Henson, Director of Instructional Support
*The terms and conditions of ECEP are subject to change without notice according to changes in secondary and postsecondary standards.