Faulkner State Community College provides college credit opportunities to eligible high school students through the State Board of Education, Policy 801.03, Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit for High School Students. This policy allows eligible high school students to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes, and to receive both high school and college credit where appropriate.* This program is available only to qualified students who are enrolled in the Baldwin County public school system.
Flexible Scheduling Opportunities
Eligible Baldwin County high school students have several scheduling options for Dual Enrollment classes. High school students who take twelfth grade AP English and are eligible for Dual Enrollment can receive college credit for classes such as ENG 101 (Freshman Composition I) and ENG102 (Freshman Composition II) on the high school campuses during normal class hours. Other Dual Enrollment classes may be taken at any of the three Faulkner State Community College campuses (Bay Minette, Fairhope, or Gulf Shores), after school hours, during the evenings, or on weekends. In addition, seniors who meet the program eligibility criteria, with permission of the principal, may be granted permission to leave the high school campus during fourth block to take Dual Enrollment classes on one of the Faulkner State campuses. After high school hours and during the summer, high school juniors and seniors may take Dual Enrollment classes any time they are offered by Faulkner State.
Dual Enrollment Class Listing
The classes listed below have been approved by the Baldwin County Board of Education and Faulkner State Community College for Dual Enrollment credit.
|Faulkner State Course Pairs||High School Course|
|ANT 200 Introduction to Anthropology
ANT 210 Physical Anthropology
|ART 173 Photography I
ART 174 Photography II
|ART 203 Art History I
ART 204 Art History II
|CAT 223 Electronic Publishing I
CAT 224 Electronic Publishing II
|CRJ 100 Introduction to Criminal Justice
CRJ 110 Introduction to Law Enforcement
|CRJ 130 Intro to Law and Judicial Process
CRJ 140 Criminal Law and Procedure
|Criminal Law and Procedure|
|ENG 101 English Composition I
ENG 102 English Composition II
|EVT 101 Basic Ecology
EVT 107 Environmental Auditing
|GEO 100 World Regional Geography
GEO 201 Principles of Human Geography
|HIS 121 World History I
HIS 122 World History II
|HMM 105 Principles of Hospitality Management
|POL 200 Introduction to Political Science
POL 211 American National Government
|PRL 101 Introduction to Paralegal Studies
PRL 160 Criminal Law and Procedure
|PRL 102 Basic Legal Research and Writing
PRL 103 Advanced Legal Research and Writing
|Legal Research and Writing|
|PSY 200 General Psychology
SOC 200 Introduction to Sociology
In order to enroll for Dual Enrollment, students must have:
- Completed tenth grade
- 3.0 or better unweighted Grade Point Average
- Completed Dual Enrollment application packet with an official high school transcript
Steps for Enrollment
- Complete a Dual Enrollment application packet
- Turn forms in to your high school counselor and ask him/her to send an official transcript to Faulkner State Admissions Office, ATTN: Carmelita Mikkelsen
- Pay for courses and books at any of the three Faulkner State campuses
Students must complete a new Dual Enrollment form and request a current transcript to be sent to Faulkner State Admissions for each semester they wish to participate in Dual Enrollment classes.
Faulkner State has Alabama’s lowest tuition.
The most up-to-date tuition and fee table can be found in the current course schedule.
Please contact the Faulkner State Business Office at 251-580-2217 for further information.
If students wish to pay for Dual Enrollment tuition and fees with PACT, it is their responsibility to get in touch with PACT and with the Faulkner State Financial Aid Office (1-800-231-3752 ext. 2151 or 251-580-2151).
In accordance with State Board Policy, credit earned under the Dual Enrollment Program is held in escrow pending high school graduation.
Upon successful completion of each of the pair of courses listed, six (6) semester hours of college credit will be awarded by Faulkner State and one (1) high school credit will be awarded by Baldwin County Board of Education.
Please refer to the Statewide Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (STARS) web link found on the Faulkner State Community College web site to get information regarding the Alabama state law that guarantees transferability of all academic credits for two-year college students.
In order to have college credits transferred to another college, students must do both of the following:
- Send high school transcript, including graduation date, to Faulkner State
- Fill out and submit a Faulkner transcript release form
Important Dates to Remember
Dual Enrollment Registration
- Faulkner State representatives will visit each high school at the beginning of each semester in order to register students for English Dual Enrollment classes.
- In order to register students for all other Dual Enrollment classes, Faulkner State representatives will visit each school during the semester preceding the start of Dual Enrollment classes.
- The deadline for tuition and fee payment for the English Dual Enrollment classes will be provided by the FSCC representative.
- The deadline for tuition and fee payment for all other Dual Enrollment classes is the same for all college students and can be found in the semester course schedule.
- If students wish to pay for Dual Enrollment tuition and fees with PACT, it is their responsibility to get in touch with PACT and with the Faulkner State Financial Aid Office (1-800-231-3752 ext. 2151 or 251-580-2151).
The last day to withdraw for all Dual Enrollment classes is as listed in the current course schedule.
Dual Enrollment Program Contacts
Faulkner State Community College
Carmelita Mikkelsen, Director of High School Relations
Fay Farris, Counselor / English Dual Enrollment Advisor
Michael G. Nikolakis
Dean of Student Services
Baldwin County High Schools
Baldwin County High School
Mary Warfield, Counselor
Daphne High School
Connie Yelding, Counselor
Fairhope High School
Jennifer Sinclair, Counselor
Foley High School
Sandy Stewart, Counselor
Gulf Shores High School
Joanna Mercer, Counselor
Robertsdale High School
Karen Sweeney, Counselor
Spanish Fort High School
Lee Cleveland, Counselor
Baldwin County School System
Joyce Woodburn, Interim Secondary Supervisor Coordinator
Peggy Duck, Secondary Supervisor
Pam Henson, Director of Instructional Support
*The terms and conditions of Dual Enrollment are subject to change without notice according to secondary and postsecondary standards.